Privacy Notice for Applicants
1.1. Under data protection law, individuals have a right to be informed about how the Edmonton Academy Trust uses any personal data that is held about them. We, Edmonton Academy Trust, comply with this right by providing Privacy Notices to individuals where we are processing their personal data.
1.2. We take great care in ensuring a safe and secure application and recruitment experience. The information is for the sole purpose of employment opportunities with Edmonton Academy Trust and is only used for the purposes set out in this policy.
2. Document purpose
3.1. An applicant is deemed to be an individual seeking employment who may register interest in employment opportunities, or complete an electronic form(s) as part of the recruitment process. Applicants are required to complete mandatory requests for information as part of this process, and will remain an applicant until the contractual commencement of employment.
4. Data controller and processors
4.1. Edmonton Academy Trust is the Data Controller for the purposes of data protection law and therefore will determine the purposes for which personal data is processed (the ‘why’ and the ‘how’). Our postal address is:
Edmonton Academy Trust
Edmonton County School
Great Cambridge Road
4.2. Edmonton Academy Trust will ensure that your personal data is processed fairly and lawfully, is accurate, is kept secure and is retained for no longer than is necessary.
5. The categories of personal data we hold
5.1. We process data relating to those we employ, or otherwise engage, to work at Edmonton Academy Trust. The nature of the personal data we collect, depends on the position you are applying for and the stage of the recruitment process you reach.
5.2. Personal data that we may collect, use, store and share (when appropriate) about you includes, but is not limited to:
– Personal information, including name, contact details, date of birth, email address and other personally identifiable – data which is required in order to process your job application.
– Characteristics, such as race, ethnicity, nationality and sexual orientation.
– Financial information, such as your National Insurance number.
– Recruitment information, including copies of right to work documentation, references and other information included in a CV or cover letter or as part of the application process.
– Qualifications and employment records, including work history, job titles, working hours, training records and professional memberships.
– Health, including any medical conditions and sickness records.
– Other, including a copy of your national identity card or driving licence, passport type photograph.
6. Why we use this data?
6.1. The purpose of processing this data is to help Edmonton Academy Trust recruit the right person for the role we have advertised. The personal information is used for various reason, including:
– Match your details with job vacancies, to assist us in finding a position that is most suitable for you.
– Facilitate safe recruitment, as part of our safeguarding obligations towards students.
– Inform our recruitment and retention policies.
– Enable ethnicity and disability monitoring.
– Fulfil contractual obligations with any third parties.
– To answer any enquiries you may have during the recruitment and on-boarding process.
7. Our lawful basis for using this data.
7.1. We only collect and use personal information about you when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we use it where we need to:
– Fulfil a contract we have entered into with you.
– Comply with a legal obligation in the field of employment, social security and social protection law.
7.2. We may also use personal information about you where:
– You have given us consent to use it in a certain way e.g. pre-employment screening, safeguarding checks, reference requests, re-marketing.
7.3. Where you have provided us with consent to use your data, you may withdraw this consent at any time. We will make this clear when requesting your consent, and explain how you go about withdrawing consent if you wish to do so.
7.4. Some of the reasons listed above for collecting and using personal information about you overlap, and there may be several grounds which justify the Edmonton Academy Trust’s use of your data.
8. Collecting this information
8.1. The personal information we collect about you comes primarily from applications or other forms and materials you submit to Edmonton Academy Trust during the course of your relationship with us.
8.2. Whilst the majority of information we collect from you is mandatory, there is some information that you can choose whether or not to provide to us. Whenever we seek to collect information from you, we will make it clear whether you must provide this information (and if so, what the possible consequences are of not complying), or whether you have a choice. However, failure to provide some of the requested information may result in our being unable to carry out our recruitment and pre-employment checks correctly and as efficiently as we would like.
8.3. We will try to ensure that all information we hold about you is accurate, complete and up to date, but we expect you to help us in this regard by promptly notifying us if there are any changes to your personal information.
9 How we store this data
9.1. Edmonton Academy Trust remains the Data Controller at all times.
9.2. Personal data will not be retained by the Edmonton Academy Trust for longer than is necessary in relation to the purpose for which it was collected. Once your application has ended, we will retain your personal application data in accordance with our Records Retention Policy.
10. Data Sharing
10.1. We will not share personal information about you with any third party without your consent unless the law and our policies allow us to do so.
10.2. We may share personal information about you with trusted external service providers (third parties) for the purpose of:
– Providing services such as references, qualification checks, criminal reference checking services (Enhanced DBS as required), verification of the details you have provided from third party sources, psychometric evaluations or skills tests.
– Performing functions on our behalf such as professional advice, testing and development work on our technology systems and website, e-mail marketing, CV Database searching and social media networking.
10.3. All our third party service providers are carefully selected, meet high data protection and security standards and are bound by contract to keep any information we share with them confidential. We only share the personal data with them that is necessary for the services they provide and they will only process that data in accordance with our instructions.
10.4. We will never rent or sell your data to any third party for their own marketing purposes and we will only disclose your data to another third party without your express consent when we are legally required to do so.
10.5. We may also release personal information to regulatory or law enforcement agencies, if they require us to do so.
11. Your rights – how to access personal information we hold about you
11.1. Under data protection laws, individuals have a right to ask Edmonton Academy Trust for a copy of the information we hold about you. As part of this process we may ask you to verify your identity and ask for more specific information about your request. Where we are legally permitted to do so, we may refuse your request and will give you reasons for doing so.
11.2. Individuals also have other rights regarding how their personal data is used and kept safe. These include having the right to:
– Object to the use of your personal data if it would cause, or is causing, damage or distress.
– Prevent your data being used to send direct marketing.
– Object to the use of your personal data for decisions being taken by automated means (by a computer or machine, rather than by a person).
– In certain circumstances, have inaccurate personal data corrected, deleted or destroyed, or restrict processing.
11.3. To exercise any of these rights, please contact the Edmonton Academy Trust Data Protection Officer (DPO) at Edmonton Academy Trust
12.1. Edmonton Academy Trust is an equal opportunities employer and a company committed to diversity. This means that all job applicants and members of staff will receive equal treatment and that we will not discriminate on grounds of gender, marital status, race, ethnic origin, colour, nationality, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, religion or age.
12.2. As part of our commitment to equal opportunities we may from time to time use information provided by you for the purposes of diversity monitoring. All such information will be used on an anonymised basis.
13.1. We take any complaints about our collection and use of personal information very seriously. If you think that our collection or use of personal information is unfair, misleading or inappropriate, or have any other concern about our data processing, please raise this with the DPO in the first instance.
13.2. Alternatively, you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office:
Report a concern online at https://ico.org.uk/concerns
Call 0303 123 1113
14. Contact details
14.1. If you have any questions, concerns or would like more information about anything mentioned in this Privacy Notice please contact our DPO, details below:
– Data Protection Officer, Edmonton Academy Trust