At Edmonton County Primary, we believe that literacy and communication are key life skills and that through the English curriculum we should help children develop the skills and knowledge that will enable them to communicate effectively and creatively, through spoken and written language.
We aim to provide a rich and stimulating environment, where speaking and listening, reading and writing are an integral part of everything we do in order to foster a love of reading, writing and drama.
Progression of Skills in English
Children will develop their skills in reading and writing, not only in English lessons, but across the curriculum. The progression of skills in reading include the development of word reading and comprehension. The progression of skills in writing include the development of transcription, handwriting, composition, vocabulary, grammar and punctuation.
More detailed information regarding progression in English can be found in this document:
National Curriculum Links
The overarching aim for English in the national curriculum is to promote high standards of language and literacy by equipping pupils with a strong command of the spoken and written language, and to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment. The national curriculum for English aims to ensure that all pupils:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate
Please see below for further information regarding the English Programmes of Study:
Year 1 Programme of Study
Year 2 Programme of Study
Year 3/4 Programme of Study
Year 5/6 Programme of Study
Vocabulary, Grammar and Punctuation
Phonics and the Teaching of Reading
At Edmonton County Primary, we promote enjoyment of reading for pleasure. We are bonkers about books!
Clink the link below for more information about the teaching of phonics and reading at Edmonton County Primary.
Here are the slides and information booklet from our recent phonics parent meeting:
Helping at home
It is imperative that children’s learning extends beyond the classroom. Here are ways that you can support your child with reading and writing at home: